Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Day: 2/5/08

A moment of silence is requested to remember those who lost their lives, homes, friends, families, and faced hardship in the wake of the storms of February 5, 2008 in the Memphis-metro and surrounding areas.

---------------------------------------------------------

A day of changes today, some more welcome than others.

I followed my normal routine: wake, wash, drive, coffee. So, while I'm at work, I get the call from home that I need to come home because momma is all up with the stomach virus. Ok, that doesn't go over well at work, but after a few phone calls, there is no help for it, I have to go home.

Home was not a pleasant scene. The rugrat had made a mess of whatever he could get his hands on. Momma was praying at the porcelain god. And there was that very distinct smell...you know it, bet you can almost smell it yourself right now. In the words of my son, "Ewwwwww".

Ok, clean up time, momma first, then the floor. Momma makes it to bed and is out like a light. So me and the kiddo occupy ourselves with what we can find. Generally, it is his Hot Wheels, or some of his many and varied selection of playballs. I do manage to get a little time on the Playstation 2. I really shouldn't play when I'm really tired, since this time I managed to save a new game on top of my old game...oops. So much for all those hours of play. Oh well, I wasn't happy with the direction of that other game anyways. I learned late in it that I had missed some very valuable opportunities.

Anyway, if you know Memphis bloggers, I am sure that everyone in the city with a blog has written about the storms that rolled through this night. Driving winds, rain, tornadoes, etc. Quite the night. I haven't seen that much television without commercials in a long time. At the house, we occupied our time watching the weather, and taking ventures outside to see what the sky was doing. The boy wasn't really into the mood as for the short time we hunkered down in the hallway, he didn't feel like being quiet and was restless. Guess he was feeling the storm's energy, he was a handful. Later, after the first squall hit, we had a few moments of peace while the news channels kept on about the first storm until the second one came along.

The second storm wasn't as dangerous as the first, but it came along with 50+ mph winds and more rain. It moved through the area so quickly that no one really had long to worry about it. Of course, it looked a lot worse on the tv's radar systems. And they had to use every version of software they had, in rotation, to show just how bad it might be and looked. Sometimes, I think they just do that to show off how much money they have spent on this stuff. Don't get me wrong now, I appreciate their work and dedication to warn us of danger from the weather, it's just sometimes, I think they overdo it.

So after all the commotion was over, we put the kid to bed, me to bed, and momma was not far behind. Now, normally, I'm not this tired this early in the evening. I think that some of my tiredness was from that during the storm, I had this subtle feeling of energy coming out of me. Now, I don't know one way or the other, but I feel like I either fed the storm some energy, or was keeping the worst of the storm and tornadoes at bay from the house and family. I will hope it is the second reason and not the first. Maybe it was a little of both. Chaos is funny that way. :)


Pictures of some of the damage:







No comments: