Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day: 2/13/08

It never ceases to amaze me at how many people wait until the last minute to make purchases around various holidays. In this instance, Valentine's Day. This day, at the store, we were nearly mobbed. I am curious as to how so many people can wait until the 11th hour when they know that a certain day is approaching they can, in good conscious, purchase things that are supposed to have a meaningful value but are often bought in a hurry and with little thought. Certainly there is some merit to "it's the thought that counts", but does it really merit that much? Due to situations I allowed to get out of control, I didn't particularly do anything for this holiday. But, to run into a store on the last minute and purchase a card and a box of chocolates? It seems like a quick out for something that someone didn't take the time to put much thought into. At least I don't feel like I took an easy out and made a hasty, uncaring purchase just to make it through the holiday.

I ranted before at the commercialization of holidays. I won't get into it again, at the moment.

Now, just to be clear. I know not everyone has the option of planning an elaborate dinner or some romantic gesture for their significant other on this holiday. Work, school, bills, they all sometimes just don't allow for the time or ability to do something that really shows you care. But, as far as a gesture to show that you care, is it really necessary to do something big and expensive? I don't think so. So long as the person knows that you care deeply about them, a true gesture of your affection and care will suffice. While it may not seem like much, I did such a gesture. We had managed to exhaust all the hot water in the water tank this night, and she wanted to take a hot bath. So, being the caring person I am, I heated water on the stove and carried it pot by pot to the tub and poured it in so that she could have her bath. I didn't have to do it. I did it because I really care for her, and wanted her to have her warm bath. In such a case, I don't believe a card or a box of chocolates would have meant so much from me.

I would suggest to each that when a holiday comes around to take a few moments and consider why we celebrate that holiday, and how much we care about our family and loved ones. Even a simple gesture can mean the world to someone without being expensive or extravagant.

No comments: